Want to travel the globe for cheap but still have a great experience? Use these travel tips!
One of the most common reasons people say they dont travel is that its expensive. In fact, more people are choosing staycations than ever before. After all, it gives you the chance to experience great attractions without the cost of transportation and accommodations.
But what if you could have your cake and eat it, too? Traveling on a budget doesnt mean that youre heaving a backpack around and staying in hostels. It can, but thats not the only way to do it.
When to Travel on a Budget
The answer to this question differs depending on your hoped-for destination and what you plan to do there. However, here are some great budget travel tips to keep your costs as low as possible:
- Travel off season Find out when travelers are least likely to head to the destination you want and go then. Of course, its always important to find out why the low season is the low season. If youre going to be caught in a typhoon, thats not likely going to lead to a dream vacation. If it is possible though, traveling during the off season can save you 3 to 4 times what your trip would cost during the high season. Youll avoid the crowds, too!
- Book ahead The earlier you make your reservations, the less youll pay. There are many reasons for this budget travel tip. Youll have more time to compare prices. Youll have more choices because opportunities wont be filled up yet. You will even find the prices themselves are lower because airlines and hotels often raise their rates as the number of vacancies falls.
- Be flexible If youre the type of person who sticks to a rigid travel itinerary, youre likely paying more as a result. The rule of thumb may be to book well ahead of time, but there is also something to be said about last minute deals. Be willing to change your plans once you reach your destination. Keep your portable phone charger with you so youll be able to do as many price comparisons as you need. Be sure to grab a free WiFi connection from a café or your hotel as roaming charges for your data plan may be huge.
Where to Travel on a Budget
Some places are expensive year-round. You could bleed the best portable charger dry searching for hours and still not find an affordable place to stay and eat. Therefore, choosing the right destination will play a key role in your cheap travel opportunities. Consider the following options for your next vacation:
- Saint Martin
- Albufeira, Portugal
- Naples, Italy
- Dubrovnik, Croatia
- The Cook Islands
- Vancouver, Canada
- Karpathos, Greece
- Phuket, Thailand
- New Zealand
- Oaxaca, Mexico
- Trujillo, Peru
- La Paz, Bolivia
- Sri Lanka
- Fez, Morocco
- Barichara, Columbia
What to Bring When Traveling on a Budget
There are a number of things that can help equip you to get the best deals and to enjoy the best trip without overspending. Make sure to have the following with you to enjoy the experience but keep your money in your wallet.
- A universal portable charger This is an absolute vital travel gadget. Get the best portable charger you can find. Make sure it is a universal portable phone charger. That way, it will recharge any phone you have and your traveling companions device, too. In fact, if you make a new friend while youre away, offering some extra juice to a dying phone battery is one of the best gifts you can give.
- Tough, ultra-light luggage If you plan to travel at least once per year, invest in your luggage. Look for something that will take a beating but protect whats inside. That said, make sure it is as light as possible. Yes, these suitcases will often cost more, but heres where they save you money: your stuff doesnt get damaged, and youll be less likely to have to pay those unbelievable fees for too much weight in your bag when you load it with souvenirs.
- A tech gadget and accessories case Just as important as a great suitcase is a fantastic water-resistant case for your tech accessories. Get a slim, lightweight and durable case that will hold the SD cards from your camera (and all your amazing pictures), cables, your universal portable charger, and all the other little travel gadget accessories you need with you. Make sure to look for water resistance. It doesnt need to protect your stuff from a swimming pool, but it should resist a rain shower or a knocked-over coffee cup!
These budget travel tips should get you off on the right foot. Happy travels!